Comm-Tech Support Engineer (part time)
POSITION NOW OPEN
Based in London (Streatham) Comm-Tech has for over 20 years provided technical support and IT expertise on a not-for-profit basis to our clients across London, chiefly small charities, community organisations, advisory services, civil liberties groups, environmental campaigners and small businesses.
We are looking for someone special to work with our highly motivated and expert team supporting clients running mixed Windows, Linux and Apple Mac networks. Applicants will need a working knowledge of a wide range of computer hardware, networks and peripherals. The successful applicant will be responsible and able to take initiative to solve problems, have a keen attention to detail and willingness to learn, and know how to RTFM and apply what they learn.
Depending on experience, the successful applicant can expect an initially steep learning curve. There will be lots of opportunities to learn new skills.
This is your chance to contribute to society while developing your IT skills in a highly technical and ethical environment. Through the work you do and the services Comm-Tech provides, our charitable clients are better equipped and more able to put their scarce resources to good use for the individuals and communities they support.
- Fielding technical support calls and email inquiries from clients, diagnosing and developing solutions to technical issues
- Attending call-outs to client sites when required (on working days)
- Maintaining documentation of your work, ensuring activities are logged appropriately on our systems
- To adhere to all organisational policies in force at during the time of your supply of services to the organisation
- The ability to manage your time efficiently, multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Sufficient familiarity with Windows, MacOS and Linux desktops and common applications to remotely diagnose and troubleshoot basic computer issues
- Sufficient familiarity with networks to remotely diagnose and troubleshoot connectivity issues
- Working expertise with Windows and standard productivity applications
- Basic Windows and Linux server administration
- The ability to describe technical issues clearly and effectively by telephone and email with people of all levels of technical expertise (or lack of it) and cultural backgrounds, maintaining a cordial and professional relationship at all times
- Willingness to research and learn on the job, the ability read and understand documentation and online support discussions, and take the initiative to apply solutions quickly
- Mailserver and groupware administration
- Active Directory administration
- Bash scripting, Powershell, Python, CSS, PHP
- MySQL/MariaDB database admin
- A keen interest in Linux and open source software
- Systems design, costing and proposal writing
- Nothing beats experience, whether as a hobbyist or in professional setting
Typical activity in a day may include:
- Respond to client request to recommend hardware or software to suit their purposes, research, compare, cost and report on available options
- Diagnose and resolve email server problems
- Diagnose and resolve issues with backup systems
- Build an email, file and VPN server
- Liaise with an ISP and telecoms provider to resolve internet connection issues
- Write and cost out proposals for setup and maintenance of small office network
- Analyse firewall logs and adapt firewall rules to cope with DDOS or spam attacks
- Attend clients’ offices as a call-out engineer in order to resolve serious malware infections, conduct hardware + software upgrades, or other issues
Working as a contractor or PAYE is acceptable. Initial contract one year, subject to initial evaluation points after first and third months.
From £20,000 a year (pro rata), with annual inflation-linked pay rise. Initially three days a week, with opportunities to go full time after first year.
How to apply
Please do not send a CV. Instead email [team AT comm-tech.org] with a personal statement describing:
- How you think your skills and experience apply to this role
- Something about yourself, your ethics and your approach to problem solving
We will attempt to reply to all applications within 3 days.
We look forward to hearing from you.