Comm-Tech Support Engineer (part time)
Based in London (Streatham) Comm-Tech has for over 20 years provided technical support and IT expertise on a non-for-profit basis to our clients across London. Our clients consist of small charities, community organisations, advisory services, civil liberties groups, environmental campaigners as well as small businesses.
We are looking for someone special to work with our highly motivated and expert team supporting clients running mixed Windows, Linux and Mac networks. Applicants will need a working knowledge of a wide range of computer hardware, networks and peripherals. The successful applicant will be responsible and able to take the initiative to solve problems, have a keen attention to detail and willingness to learn, and know how to RTFM and apply.
Depending on experience, the successful applicant can expect an initially steep learning curve and demanding hours.
- Fielding technical support calls and email inquiries from clients, diagnosing and developing solutions to technical issues arising
- Attending call-outs to client sites when required (on the days contracted)
- Maintaining documentation of all your work, ensuring activities are logged appropriately on our systems
- To adhere to all organisational policies in force at during the time of your supply of services to the organisation
- The ability to manage your time efficiently, multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Sufficient familiarity with Windows, Mac and Linux desktops and common applications to remotely diagnose and troubleshoot basic computer issues
- Sufficient familiarity with networks to remotely diagnose and troubleshoot connectivity issues
- Working expertise in Windows desktop and and standard applications
- Basic Windows and Linux server administration
- The ability to describe technical issues clearly and effectively by telephone and email with people of all levels of technical expertise (or lack of it) and cultural backgrounds, maintaining a cordial and professional relationship at all times
- Willingness to research and learn on the job, the ability to RTM, and take the initiative to apply solutions quickly
- Zarafa/Kopano email/groupware administration
- Nethserver administration
- Windows and Exchange Server administration
- Bash scripting, powershell, python
- MySQL/MariaDB database admin
- A keen interest in open source software
- Systems design, costing and proposal writing
Typical activity in a day may include
- Respond to client request to recommend hardware or software to suit their purposes, research, compare, cost and report on available options
- Diagnose and resolve email server problems
- Diagnose and resolve issues with backup systems
- Build an email, file and VPN server
- Liaise with an ISP and telecoms provider to resolve internet connection issues
- Write and cost out proposals for setup and maintenance of small office network
- Analyse firewall logs and adapt firewall rules to cope with DDOS or spam attacks
- Attend clients’ offices as a call-out engineer in order to resolve serious malware infections, conduct hardware+software upgrades, or other issues
Contractor or PAYE acceptable. Initial contract one year, subject to initial evaluation points after first and third months.
Remuneration: £18,500 pro rata per annum + annual inflation-linked rise. Initially 3 days a week with opportunities to go full time after first year.
Interested? Contact email@example.com with a CV and covering letter outlining your skills.