Comm-Tech Support Engineer (part time)
Community Technology (Comm-Tech) is a small IT support and services company and registered charity that provides dedicated, customised support chiefly to charities and social enterprises. Our Office is based in Streatham, South London and our clients are London-wide and include national advisory services, civil liberties groups, and environmental campaigners.
We are looking for someone special to work with our team supporting clients running mixed Windows, Linux and Apple Mac networks, for which applicants will need working experience of a broad range of IT systems. We are a growing organisation with a highly motivated and expert staff. We’re looking for someone that shares our sense of responsibility towards the job, takes the initiative and pays attention to detail, is flexible, and wants to join us in our mission to see the benefits of technology used for the good of all.
- Technical expertise in Windows desktop and and standard applications
- Windows and Linux server administration experience
- Network troubleshooting experience
- A keen interest in Linux and open source software
- The ability to describe technical issues clearly and effectively by telephone and email with people of all levels of technical expertise (or lack of it) and cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to learn, and the ability to RTFM and put it into practice
- Expertise and experience in Windows Server bare metal recovery
- Experience administering Zarafa or Kopano email/groupware
- Proficiency using Powershell scripting, bash and python
- Database design and admin using MySQL/MariaDB
- Customising and compiling Linux kernels
Typical activity in a day might include
- Respond to a client request to recommend hardware or software to suit their purposes, researching, comparing and reporting on available options
- Diagnose and resolve email server problems
- Rebuild corrupted Windows Server 2013 security policy, or other Active Directory issues
- Diagnose and resolve issues with remote backup systems
- Build and optimise a file and email server
- Liaising with ISP and telecoms providers to resolve internet connection issues
- Write and cost out proposals for setup and maintenance of small office networks
- Analyse firewall logs and adapt firewall rules to cope with DDOS or spam attacks
- Attend clients’ offices as call-out engineer in order to resolve serious malware infections, conduct hardware upgrades, or other issues
Salary: £18,500 pro rata per annum + annual inflation-linked rise. Initially 3 days a week.
Interested? Contact email@example.com with a CV and covering letter outlining your skills.